Madame Moselle went to the first Camp Betty in Melbourne all those years ago, and is still recovering from it! Massive attendance of Gorgeous Queers! Amazing workshops! DIY everything! Stimulating discussion! Fantastic parties! Much, much lewdness! New friends! Random perversion! In other words, it freaking ROCKED.
And next year, its coming to Sydney. Here’s some details ripped from their FB page.
‘Betty’s heading to Sydney!
Camp Betty Sydney 2011
Queen’s birthday weekend 10 – 13 June 2011
sex. sexuality. gender. politics. action.
everything a radical political festival on sex, sexuality and gender could wish for and then some! From discussions of theory to sleeves-up-gettin’-dirty-how-to workshops and everything in between, with a pile of awesome peeps as the glue that holds it all together.
‘cos Camp Betty 2007 ROCKED!
And it’s time to revitalise that energy with the festival reborn since the Melbourne crew voted to pass the baton onto Sydney.
As with Camp Betty 2007, Sydney 2011 also aims to make “..gender and sex radicalism central to our politics and our understanding of the world today. It’s a politics of gender and sex that goes beyond liberal acceptance or assimilation, beyond state protection and tolerance for difference. Betty’s aim is to create experiences of struggle, sex and fun where we don’t just talk about the lives we want, but live them.” (Camp Betty 2007)
For more info on where we’re coming from, check out the Camp Betty 2007 website:
DIY – Do it yourself. The festival aims to be as open, decentralised, and as DIY as possible while still respecting Safe Spaces, taking responsibility for yourself and looking out for each other.
Queen’s Birthday Weekend, 10-13 June 2011. Save the date! Tell your friends!
Various awesome locations around the Inner West, with the festival hub at the Red Rattler.
· enthusiastic people to join the organising collective (and sub-collectives later)
· people willing to donate their skills in relevant areas in the lead-up to and during the festival (eg PR, event co-ordination, practical and technical skills and know-how, etc etc) – show us your skills!
· expressions of interest for contributions to the conference reader – regardless of what your writing style is we’d love to hear from you. Anything from theoretical academia through to graphic artistry is welcome for consideration.
· expressions of interest for workshop facilitators and other activities* – if you have a great idea tell us about it! You have almost a year to put something together so it doesn’t have to be a workshop that already exists…
· any hot leads for awesome venues within walking/cycling distance from the Rattler.
Email the Camp Betty Collective on email@example.com to let us know what you can offer.
*For potential contributors/facilitators: we’ll be clumping activities, events and contributions under three (or possibly more) streams – working titles for the streams so far are:
· Oppression & Privilege
· Celebration & Empowerment
· Navigating Systems, Language and Institutions (or, How To Fuck With The System – Safely!)
There will be plenty of other fun stuff going on over the weekend too if you need time to chill out and/or party on.
Stay tuned for more information as Camp Betty Sydney 2011 grows to radical monster proportions…’
- More on their Camp Betty Sydney 2011 Facebook page.